new member looking forward

James Orman semiconductorbreakfast at verizon.net
Tue Feb 22 18:31:07 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-02-22 at 01:03, Benjamin Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 21 Feb 2005, at 5:22pm, semiconductorbreakfast at verizon.net wrote:
> > If anyone has a clue as to why I would be having "permission denied" even
> > while logged in as root would be helpful. It had occurred to me while
> > trying to install my video card modules manually.
>
>   I've seen kernel modules return all manner of odd errors upon failure to
> load or initialize.  Check the system log (the /var/log/messages file) for
> clues.  Also check the output of the "dmesg" command.
>
>   Another possibility is that the "permission denied" is occurring when some
> part of the system is trying to talk to another part of the system, outside
> of the normal Unix permission model.  I know that's vague and cryptic, but
> I'm just guessing here.  Anyway, if the part of the kernel that allows
> direct access to the video hardware is having trouble talking to the part of
> the X display server that does the same, I imagine a "permission denied"
> error could be the result.  You might check the "/var/log/Xorg.0.log" file
> for clues.  (It might be "/var/log/XFree86.0.log" in FC1.)
>
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
>
>   Have you tried sacrificing a chicken?  ;-)

|dmesg output|

agpgart: Maximum main memory to use for agp memory: 439M
agpgart: Detected an Intel(R) 865G, but could not find the secondary
device. Assuming a non-integrated video card.
agpgart: Detected Intel(R) 865G chipset
agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @ 0xf8000000

|var/log/messages output|

Feb 20 13:07:17 localhost kernel: Linux agpgart interface v0.99 (c) Jeff
Hartmann
Feb 20 13:07:17 localhost kernel: agpgart: Maximum main memory to use
for agp memory: 439M
Feb 20 13:07:17 localhost kernel: agpgart: Detected an Intel(R) 865G,
but could not find the secondary device. Assuming a non-integrated video
card.
Feb 20 13:07:17 localhost kernel: agpgart: Detected Intel(R) 865G
chipset
Feb 20 13:07:17 localhost kernel: agpgart: AGP aperture is 64M @
0xf8000000
Feb 20 13:07:17 localhost kernel: [drm] AGP 0.99 Aperture @ 0xf8000000
64MB
Feb 20 13:07:17 localhost kernel: [drm] Initialized radeon 1.7.0
20020828 on minor 0
Feb 20 13:07:17 localhost kernel: [drm] Loading R200 Microcode

|upon executing fglrxinfo|

[themachine at localhost themachine]$ fglrxinfo
display: :0.0  screen: 0
OpenGL vendor string: Mesa project: www.mesa3d.org
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa GLX Indirect
OpenGL version string: 1.3 Mesa 4.0.4

|The two tutorials I've been using|

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/linuxhowto-ati.html
I did exactly what it said. no errors came up during the install. Then I
configured, but to no avail.

http://www.rage3d.com/content/articles/atilinuxhowto/Linux_ATI.html
this had a method of configuring the kernel then mounting some files to
/boot then configuring grub/lilo which I cant understand exactly what
its trying to do. plus it just says "configure grub" as if I know
exactly what to type in grub, for fear of crashing my system on bootup.