Nashua Meeting

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Wed Feb 23 12:18:00 EST 2005

Okay; 1830 hours (or 6:30 p.m. for the uninitiated).  Martha's Exchange;
I'm making reservations for 10, but I imagine we can always fit more if
they show.

Jim Kuzdrall wrote:

>   Do any women ever participate in LUG lists?  They certainly are
>under-represented.  Maybe we should ask Harvard to study the issue.

As a matter of fact, I have received out-of-band confirmation that a
double-X-chromosome-type person will be in attendance.

>   If food (and its ever increasing expense) could be sacrificed,
>Borders Books might have Wednesday night open.  They have a stage area
>that performers and lecturers regularly use.  It is quiet and free (as
>in beer).  They have coffee and snacks.  Some of the computer
>aficionados wandering around the store might peek in at Linux.

This is an interesting thought, but I think that -- for now, at least --
Martha's is where we've been, and what we're familiar with.  For those
who are new [a big "Hi" to Mike Medai and James Orman], the way it has
worked in times of yore is that at six-ish precisely, we'd get together
for grub and informal socializing; when done with socializing, etc.,
we'd wander up to the function rooms they have upstairs at Martha's for
a more formal meeting.  By "more formal," I mean anything ranging from
just general talking about Linux and showing off latest endeavors, to
actual speakers and their ilk.  [We'll probably take a pass on the
upstairs tonight, since
a) I have absolutely zilch planned, and
b) since we get the room (essentially) gratis, we have to ask in
advance... which this isn't.  ;-]

In addition to all the above, the truly lucky just might get a glimpse
of Santa at the holiday meeting.  Does he keep his N&N list on MySQL or
PostgreSQL?  Or Berkeley?!?!

>  The upstairs room at Martha's gives more privacy and flexibility for
>presentation, of course.  The relative suitability depends on the size
>of the meeting.

So, I dunno -- I'm not married to Martha's (my wife might object), but I
have no objections to it, either.  Are folks interested in changing our
meeting site?  I really do think that the ability to set up computers,
etc., makes Martha's function room hard to pass up.

-Ken