This has got to drive RMS nuts

L.B. MCCULLEY bmcculley at rcn.com
Mon Feb 28 23:58:01 EST 2005

I would not be so quick to dismiss the possibility of
conscious acronym overloading on the part of a company who
supposedly considered the application of the HAL naming
algorithm (IBM+1) in naming Windows NT (VMS+1, kudos to o/s
software mage Dave Cutler).  The hypothetical impact on the
psyche of the carbon-based lifeform RMS from the silicon-based
reference antithetical to his beliefs would probably provide
great amusement amongst the minions of Redmond...