FC3 and video...

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Thu Jan 6 10:48:01 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-05 at 16:56 -0500, Greg Rundlett wrote:
> I have been trying to get the various ieee1394 software and protocols
> working (on Debian Sarge) so that I can download video from my
> camcorder.    It seems to work OK, until I actually try to capture some
> video, then the whole system becomes unresponsive.
>
> I then downloaded dynebolic ( a multimedia live cd).  This too exhibited
> the same behavior, so that rules out any configuration issue with
> Debian, and points to a bigger issue.  Since obviously somebody must be
> having luck with ieee1394 video capture, I'm guessing that my camera is
> non-standard.

What kind of camera do you have? I have a Sony Digital Handycam and that
worked perfectly fine under FC2.

Anyway, I decided to reinstall FC2 -- and blow away the old Windows
drive in lieu of it since it's been over a year since I've run it. So
now my system is dual-bootable with both FC2 and FC3. Bye-bye Microsoft
-- since now I can do all my video work under Linux, and I've lost
interest in Diablo II :-), it's just 60GB of unused space that now has
become far more useful.

Now the trick is to use the same /home under both. Would be easier had I
made it its own partition, but not impossible. I am using the same swap
and /boot partitions, and ran into a minor install issue with that --
FC2 wiped out my original grub.conf file, but had a backup -- so that's
cool. I suppose FC2's install doesn't handle a dual-booting situation
with Linux cleanly. No bother -- it was easy enough to edit grub.conf to
fix that problem.

That should hold everything for now.

> I don't think that helps you, but maybe using dynebolic you can work
> through some of the configuration issues, or find some of the specialty
> apps that are so cool.  For example:
> http://freephile.com/nbpt-gnus/index.php/Video_Editting

I'll check it out. I've been using Kino, so it'll be nice to try
something else for a change.

While we're on the subject of video, I need to be able to transcode to
the .swf format. Does anyone know of a good FOSS solution? Thanks.