Time shifting radio (specifically NPR)

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Sat Jan 8 10:46:01 EST 2005

On Jan 7, 2005, at 6:27 PM, Travis Roy wrote:

> I used to have a TV/FM card in my linux box and recorded shows that
> way but that machine is long gone now and I've been looking for a way
> to timeshift from one of the internet feeds.
>
> I'm most interested in their weekend lineup (Car Talk, Wait Wait, etc).
>
> Does anybody on the list do this currently? What software would you
> suggest.
>
> The only requirement is that it be in MP3 or AAC format (for my iPod)

Travis:

I'm using a D-Link DSB-R100 on my iMac to do exactly that: capturing
MP3s from NHPR. I don't think D-Link still makes that model, but there
are often some available on eBay. It's an external antenna and tuner
controlled via a USB cable, with audio output via a 1/8" phono jack.
The software it came with was WinTel only, but there's an open source
project with Linux and OS X ports. Try
http://gary.burd.info/space/TimeShiftRadio.html and my blog at
http://radio.weblogs.com/0117767/2004/07/11.html#a1201 for links. (I
was amused to see that his examples capture All Things Considered, Car
Talk,, This American Life and Marketplace -- is there a Linux Geek <->
NPR correlation?)

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com