[OT]America. The land of the not-so-free (economy)

James A. Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Sat Jan 8 15:54:01 EST 2005

On Saturday 08 January 2005 11:52 am, Randy Edwards wrote:
>  >  About 4% of Americans have $1M in net worth, only a
>  > fraction of a percent have $2M.
>
>    This is interesting.  In a previous post I noted that if we kept
> the estate tax (the so-called death tax), we could fund social
> security out past the end of the century.
>
>    The estate tax impacts only people with more than $1M.
>
>    Thus we can say the administration wants to sacrifice the gov'ts
> most popular social program, one that benefits tens of millions of
> people, all to save money for the wealthiest 4% of the population so
> that those rich people can pass unearned wealth to others.

   Unearned?  Many of the people I know in the $1M-$2M class are
professionals (engineers, scientists, accountants, etc.) who worked
long hours and lived frugally - by American standards.  Those people
had no employees, so exploitation was not a factor.

   Others are small business owners.  Most worked their butts off to
keep their 5 or 10 employees sheltered from the uncertain income
stream.  Almost invariably, the business was worth nothing when they
got too old to run it.  What they had was what they could save from
salary.

   You have to get to the $3M net worth to meet people who inherited or
got money from the efforts of others.  $1M is not much money any more.
People talked of rich people as millionaires in the 1920s.  Inflation
has taken its toll.

   An average New England engineer earns $90K/yr (Bureau of Labor
Statistics).  Since there is a lot of salary compression, a 40 year
career grosses $3.6M.  The average US income is somewhere around $40K.
So, living at average consumption level, $1M in savings is readily
attainable.

Jim Kuzdrall