grub mysteries

Jeff Macdonald macfisherman at gmail.com
Sun Jan 9 12:36:00 EST 2005

On Sun, 09 Jan 2005 02:07:24 -0500, Jason Stephenson wrote:
> Grub can be told to map drives to different locations, essentially
> fooling the OS into seeing the drives as having a different "letter" in
> the BIOS. It could be that you have some of that going on in a menu.lst
> or grub.conf file. I'll wager that it may have been added automagically
> by the install software of either Fedora or Gentoo.

Actually, I just figured this out. The Adaptec card has a 'boot
device' option. I didn't realize what this was because the BIOS post
is so vague. I had inadvertently set the master drive on ide3 to be a
boot drive. The Adaptec BIOS then presents this as the first drive on
the controller. Grub just uses the BIOS, so that is what it saw. I had
to reboot the card without any drives (trying to reset it using the
BIOS failed), then with drives on the first channel, then the drive on
the 2nd channel. It all works now! Your 'map drives to different
locations' got me thinking in the right direction. Thanks.
--
Jeff Macdonald
Ayer, MA