RFC: Make political discussion off-topic by rule (was: America ...)

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Sun Jan 9 20:03:01 EST 2005

Hi,

The current "Off Topic" discussion was started by an observation that the US
economy is not considered as "free" as others, nor as "free" as what it had
been.  I (for one) felt that this was a reasonable topic for a list about
"free and open source software", and one where we sometimes discuss things
like software patents and copy left and the various freedoms that do or do
not come from things like DCMA, etc.

But the discussion of that rapidly devolved to a discussion, as Ben said, which
never mentioned free and open source software or linux again.

Rather than make a rule against it, I think that the time-honored approach of
politely suggesting that they take it someplace else is enough.  Fred has
offered his "Linux Cafe" mailing list, and others have mentioned just creating
a small "cc" list among the combatants.

Perhaps, when people sign up for gnhlug we can send a "welcome" and "list
etiquette", which among other things, might suggest that if you do not have
"Linux" or "Open Source" somewhere in your email, it probably does not belong
here.

So with that, I suggest the former "America" thread is dead on this list.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.