Linux-related job postings - Hopkinton NH School District

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Tue Jan 11 22:48:00 EST 2005

On Tue, 2005-01-11 at 21:43 -0500, Dan Jenkins wrote:

> > Of course, any workstations that don't have CD drives or can't boot
> from
> > CD are SOL. I've run into that situation before. I forget that
> people
> > sometimes *still* have computers back from the dinosaur era...
>
> That's another client, and another story...

Yup. I find it all to tempting to tell them to just stop being
cheapskates and fork up the $500 or so for a modern minimal system. Of
course, even that's not cheap if you're talking 100 systems.

I suppose in that case you could put a REALLY scaled-down Linux on a
floppy, which would only serve as a bootstrap to download the real
system off the network. But that would probably be much more trouble
than it's worth unless you can find a canned solution somewhere.

-Fred