Recording your phonograph records digitally (was: Play wav files from serial input)

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Jan 12 16:46:01 EST 2005

On Jan 12, 2005, at 16:06, Bill Freeman wrote:

> I have a cable (from Radio Shack) with a mineature
> stereo phone plug on one end (fits the sound card line in jack), and a
> pair of RCA phono plugs on the other end (fits the tape out or
> tape-rec jacks on the HiFi amplifier/receiver) (no attenuation).

When I tried this I got a nasty ground-loop hum on the cable.
Soldering in a 10k resistor across one of the lines in the cable seemed
to get rid of it without disturbing the sound quality.  I think I knew
why that worked at the time, but I'm no EE... I was using a
SoundBlaster 16 which wasn't the best quality, so perhaps that had
something to do with it.

Anyway, a $3 fix if you run into it.

-Bill
-----
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Text: bill+text at bfccomputing.com
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle