FYI: avoid the latest MyODBC driver 3.51.10 on Windows

Ted Roche tedroche at tedroche.com
Wed Jan 12 17:46:00 EST 2005

I know many of you share my challenge of supporting Windows clients. I
attempted to set up a new LAMP solution with Windows clients which
required ODBC connectivity to a MySQL database and spent most of the
weekend debugging a problem with the latest MyODBC driver, version
3.51.10.00. It works from some apps with a user dsn, fails with a
system dsn, and crashes altogether in some applications.

The final solution was to roll back to the previous driver, version
3.51.09.00. Since I was using a new MySQL 4.1.8 server, I also had to
tell it to support the older form of password authentication with the
--old-password switch on startup (details of using that here:
http://dev.mysql.com/doc/mysql/en/Old_client.html).

The MySQL folks are aware of the problems and promise a new driver soon.

Forewarned is forearmed.

Ted Roche
Ted Roche & Associates, LLC
http://www.tedroche.com