Play wav files from serial input

Bill Mullen moon at lunarhub.com
Thu Jan 13 02:10:02 EST 2005

On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 15:26, Charles Farinella wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-01-12 at 15:11, Bill Freeman wrote:
>
> > (I'd been happily converting records to digital until
> > my laptop died last year.)
>
> I've been wanting to do that for awhile, but haven't been able to
> motivate myself enough to figure out how.  Tips?  Brief rundown?

I use Audacity for this; it's versatile, has a nice GUI, and you can
save your recording as a "project" (for me, that's usually an entire
album, with recording having been paused while I flipped it over) in
Audacity's native format. Whether saved or not, one can then easily
export selections from that project into the individual wav/mp3/ogg
files corresponding to each track, optionally adding mp3id info. It pays
to have reasonable acreage to work with on disk, of course, especially
if you plan on doing multiple editing operations on the entire project.

Note that you'll need to have the appropriate libraries installed to be
able to use the mp3 and ogg formats - liblame & libvorbis, IIRC - and
there's some other lib for mp3id support. Some distributions have made
the lame lib (and its variants) a wee bit more difficult to locate and
install than others ones have ... or so I gather from the folks (the
"lamers"?) that will even admit to using that sort of thing. *cough* ;)

--
Bill Mullen
RLU# 270075