Ask GNHLUG

Thomas M. Albright talbright at albrightent.com
Thu Jan 13 09:42:01 EST 2005

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Bill McGonigle wrote:

> On Jan 12, 2005, at 18:23, Thomas M. Albright wrote:
>
> > The problem is that when I
> > shut the lid on the laptop, it goes to sleep and I can't connect to the
> > internet. How do I get it to stay awake when I shut the lid?
>
> Some laptops overheat if they run with the lid closed - others have it
> as a feature.  Just be aware if you need to do sufficient hackery to
> get it to work there might be a reason...

Well, it was working wit the lid closed just fine up until Manchester
had a black out on 24 December. When I came back on the 27th and powered
it back on it would no long stay awake with the lid closed.

I run apt-get dist-upgrade on it every night, so I'm guessing apm got
changed.

Why the make and model of the laptop or the distribution matters is
unclear to me, but it's a Acer Extensa 368D running RedHat 6.2 with a
2.2.24-6.2.3 kernel on an i586

I just want to know if/what apm settings need changing.

--
TARogue (Linux user number 234357)
 Life sucks, but death doesn't put out at all. -- Thomas J. Kopp