mail archives (was: Another ACPI anecdote, plus footnotes)

Kevin D. Clark clark_k at pannaway.com
Mon Jan 24 15:48:00 EST 2005

Bill McGonigle <bill at bfccomputing.com> writes:

> On Jan 24, 2005, at 12:48, Kevin D. Clark wrote:
>
>> Some folks on this list are *very* concerned with their email
>> addresses appearing on a web-accessible archive (they don't want to
>> give anything to the spammers).  I share this concern, although I
>> think that there are folks on this list who are more adamant about
>> this than I am.  I am more interested in making the collective wisdom
>> of this list available for others to gain from.  Still, any mail
>> archive should have an email-address obfuscating feature, in order to
>> satisfy this (reasonable) request.
>
> This appears to be the main stumbling block.  Mailman has an e-mail
> address obfuscation feature but it's very sad ('user at domain').  If
> I were writing a harvester I think I'd throw in the 1-line regex to
> fix these so it's not really a worthwhile countermeasure.  I'm looking
> at what it would take to have Mailman just remove the e-mail address
> (display only the 'real name') or only show the user-part if there's
> no 'real name' provided so the offer is DOA unless I get that fixed.

I wrote a program that did most of this and posted this to the list a
while ago.  Unfortunately, I don't have my personal archive with me
right now.  Anybody?  Otherwise I'll try to retreive this tonight.

[snip]
> The trouble with the password-protected archives is that they don't
> add to the general knowledge-base of the 'net.  There's alot of great
> content from lots of smart folks here and it's a shame not to share it.

You and I agree 100% here.

[snip]

Regards,

--kevin
--
GnuPG ID: B280F24E                     And the madness of the crowd
alumni.unh.edu!kdc                     Is an epileptic fit