Sound card recommendations?

Bob Bell bbell at macroped.com
Mon Jan 24 17:03:01 EST 2005

On Mon, Jan 10, 2005 at 10:23:42PM -0500, Benjamin Scott <bscott at ntisys.com> wrote:
>   So now I'm looking for a card that (1) works and (2) is made by a company
> which is at least not hostile to their customers.  I suspect I'm dreaming,
> but hey, at least it's a Linux-related dream.  ;-)

A long time ago (maybe 5.5 years?), when I way looking for a card with
S/PDIF output (which at the time was fairly rare, and before Creative
was (temporarily) co-operative), I ran across Trident Microsystems and
their 4DWave-series chipsets, included on boards like the one I bought,
a Hoontech SoundTrack 4DWave-NX.  This was a decision I made after
joining the ALSA mailing lists for a short time.

IIRC, they had a Linux tarball linked somewhere off of their web page.
I believe that Trident wrote their own ALSA drivers and released them
under the GPL.  Unfortunately, I cannot seem to find any audio products
on www.tridentmicro.com, and www.hoontech.com doesn't seem to be
responsive at the moment.

 - Bob