mail archives

Benjamin Scott bscott at ntisys.com
Tue Jan 25 19:58:01 EST 2005

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, at 8:25am, clark_k at pannaway.com wrote:
> Indeed, there was no discussion of whether this was an actual problem or
> not before this change was made.  No discussion at all.

  We needed a solution in a hurry and that was the best we could do.

  Note that the action in question had nothing to do with Derek Martin's
bitching, but rather was due to an off-list issue with a party outside
GNHLUG.

On Tue, 25 Jan 2005, at 12:24am, bscott at ntisys.com wrote:
> A better solution was desired, but the resources (people, time, trust,
> server resources, installed software, etc.) did not exist.  Likely still
> do not.

  My remarks, quoted above, were intended to indicate that the problem is
not that we lack an implementation of search-and-replace.

  If you want to volunteer a reliable server, with reliable power, with
available reliable bandwidth and a static IP address, all dedicated to
GNHLUG, open to people you may not know, and also create and supervise a
process where people can somehow be evaluated and approved for access, and
also take over general management of it all, then I'm sure something can be
arranged....

  That's a bit harsh, but I'm trying to demonstrate that the problems are
many, and generally not technical in nature.  :-(

--
Ben Scott <bscott at ntisys.com>