Dual booting may be a necessary evil, or perhaps a good thing?

Tom Buskey tbuskey at gmail.com
Fri Jan 28 12:43:01 EST 2005

On Fri, 28 Jan 2005 12:04:53 -0500, Travis Roy <travis at scootz.net> wrote:
> I agree..
>
> Removing windows entirely from the presario was not an option. It was a
> machine in my work office for any customer to use. The Linux boot would
> have been specifically for me for doing network testing and whatnot.

Knoppix can work well here.  Every machine becomes your test station :-)

> My laptop dual boots for various PITA windows only things (specifically,
> our new backup server -REQUIRES- IE to log into it and create new backup
> shares, we have opened this as a "bug" trouble ticket with the company)

I've had great success with  running windows within vmware on linux
for IE, outlook, Palm syncing to outlook, Notes, various remote KVM
apps and a windows only USB camera.

> At home I dual boot for games (Counter-Strike/HalfLife).

:-)  VMware would be a little slow for this (probably)

I usually setup my machines dual boot.  qtparted on knoppix will
repartition XP nicely.  I've had a laptop for almost 2 years & it
booted windows only once when my wife needed it.