HP/Compaq Presario and Linux

Jon maddog Hall maddog at li.org
Sat Jan 29 13:55:01 EST 2005

Jason (et. al.),

> reinstall or repair the OS. The reason for this is that they do not have
> to provide you with an installation CD.

>Personally, I'd rather have the install media on a bootable DVD
>and have the full use of my disk, thanks.

It is not just that they want to "save the cost of the CD", but some companies
are ordering systems without CD drives because they want a thin client on the
desktop...something without floppies and/or a CD...something that could
boot over the network and be diskless or be (re)installed standalone with only
a hard disk.

All data comes through the corporate server.

They view floppies, CDs and USB Flash devices as just another way of having
games and viruses introduced into the work environment.

md
--
Jon "maddog" Hall
Executive Director           Linux International(R)

Board Member: Uniforum Association, USENIX Association

(R)Linux is a registered trademark of Linus Torvalds in several countries.
(R)Linux International is a registered trademark in the USA used pursuant
   to a license from Linux Mark Institute, authorized licensor of Linus
   Torvalds, owner of the Linux trademark on a worldwide basis
(R)UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the USA and other
   countries.