Win4Lin Home Edition

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Sat Jan 29 14:02:01 EST 2005

On Sat, 29 Jan 2005 13:29:16 -0500
Bill Sconce <sconce at in-spec-inc.com> wrote:

> RE: Kenyon Karl's original post - thank you very much for that!  A
> price reduction is a good move for Win4Lin, and availability of
> cheaper pacifiers helps Linux.  $29.95 is a GOOD price.
This is true. personally, I use cxoffice only in cases where the native
Linux products (OpenSource or proprietary) cannot do what I must do. I
need MS Office because there are some documents that OpenOffice does not
render correctly, although OOo has improved tremendously.

My talk a few years ago compared Win4Lin, VMWare, and WINE.
In short
DOSEMU (and dosbox): Run most DOS programs including Word Perfect.
WINE - good for running a number of Windows based programs natively
under Linux. Cost Free for WINE, under $40 for Crossover Office.
Win4Lin - Runs as a Linux process. Windows 9x is installed under
Win4Lin. You can run nearly every Windows 9x application - this is a
light weight virtual machine. It uses the native Linux file system.
($89.99 from Netraverse).
VMWare - heavy weight VM. Runs multiple OS's, Linux, BSD, Windows
(including NT). Each OS has a different container. ($189 download).

IMHO, it is important that we try to get as many native Linux solutions
as possible.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group