access beyond end of device?

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at iname.com
Tue Jul 12 22:15:01 EDT 2005

On Jul 11 at 10:14am, Bill McGonigle wrote:
> I'd run resize2fs on the filesystem with the correct partition size
> (assuming appropriate backups).

   I'd be kinda surprised if that actually worked.  I'm pretty sure there would
be metadata past the end of the device if the filesystem actually was
truncated.

   Certainly, I'd try fsck first.  Given that the block being requested is way
beyond the original size of the filesystem, I think it's far more likely that
some piece of metadata is pointing into hyperspace, rather then the filesystem
as a whole being screwed up.

   :-)

--
Ben <dragonhawk at iname.com>