access beyond end of device?

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Wed Jul 13 11:10:01 EDT 2005

On Jul 13, 2005, at 02:21, Benjamin Scott wrote:

>   In other words, if I have my 3 TiB filesystem that sudden gets
> truncated at 90 GiB, all the filesystem metadata that was past 90 GiB
> is now gone, leaving a gaping hole in the filesystem's internal data
> structures.

Right.  If you assume a filesystem was truncated.  I was assuming a bad
partition table lead mkfs to create an incorrect superblock which lead
to an inode with an invalid data block location.

Does e2fsck validate the existence of blocks in the ext2 allocation
bitmap without trusting the partition table? That would be a useful
test but my Google-fu isn't strong enough to find out.  An 'fsck -c'
might force it to.

I'm hoping we'll get a report when the cause is determined.

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Text: bill+text at bfccomputing.com

For fastest support contact, please follow:
http://bfccomputing.com/support_contact.html