domain (especially email) hosting from home

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xanoptix.com
Fri Jul 15 10:56:01 EDT 2005

[Someone wrote something, but I didn't want to clutter my beautiful prose]

I'm going to come out and agree with Paul: Postfix is a Good Thing.  So's
Exim.  (They both roughly replicate the functionality of Sendmail, but do
away with the confusion, and most of the security glitches, of Sendmail.)
I recently made the switch from Exim to Postfix, 'cause there were a few
things I liked how it did slightly more.

But, IMHO, the Big Thing these days is spam/virus/phishing.  And
MailScanner -- kind of a meta-package of Spamassassin/ClamAV, with smarts
thrown in -- is the best thing since sliced bread.  Here's my current
setup:

Postfix (SMTP)
MailScanner (spam/virus/phishing)
Courier/Dovecot (IMAPd -- I use both, and think they both work well)
Squirrelmail (webmail -- lots of functionality, not much overhead)

As for the DynDNS, do be sure you get how the whole MX record thing works,
or it might bite you.  And, yes, you will find some external hosts
bouncing your e-mail, since it's from one of those zombie-prone dynamic
subnets.  *sigh*

$.02, YMMV, etc.,

-Ken