domain (especially email) hosting from home

Dan Jenkins dan at rastech.com
Tue Jul 19 00:14:01 EDT 2005

Bill McGonigle wrote:

> On Jul 18, 2005, at 20:15, puissante wrote:
>
>> I have no love for Verizon, and despise the fact they use PPPoE. And
>> I can't see how you can maintain a good connection for doing anything
>> when the IP is changing every 15 minutes. Ugh.
>

> Yeah, we'll be talking on the video phone, then *poof*.  It's not even
> a different address in the same subnet, it sometimes jumps to an
> entirely different Class B.  Amazing the routing they must do to keep
> it working!
>
> I guess it's OK for web surfing if you're not in the middle of a
> shopping cart.  It's barely a 'web' connection, not an internet
> connection.
>
> But they save $5 a month by combining it with the phone bill, so I
> can't get them to switch to Speakeasy...

What about switching them to Speakeasy on a bare line (no Verizon local
service needed) and switching to VoIP (like Vonage) with number
portability so they keep their existing number? From their viewpoint, it
ought to be invisible and likely would save another $5 (or more) per month.

My experience with Verizon DSL has been mixed. Most installs have been
difficult due to their idiot-proof (and idiotic) installer. Once
connected about half seem to have hopping IPs and the rest are
effectively static. Guess it depends on where you get service - or the
phase of the moon. (I've done them throughout New England.) To be
honest, most are reliable connections if you don't mind quick change
IPs, blocked ports and PPPoE.

--
Dan Jenkins (dan at rastech.com)
Rastech Inc., Bedford, NH, USA --- 1-603-206-9951