The Daemon, The GNU, and the Penguin

Tom Buskey tbuskey at gmail.com
Thu Jul 21 16:28:01 EDT 2005

On 7/21/05, Nolan, Catherine (PTG) <Catherine.Nolan at awl.com> wrote:
> Hello:
> I am an acquisitions editor for Addison Wesley / Prentice Hall PTR. My name
> is Catherine Nolan.
> As I currently watch this list - I'm reaching out to you guys first as part
> of an informal customer study.
>
> I am currently considering a book proposal entitled The Daemon, The GNU, and
> The Penguin: A History of Free and Open Source by Peter H. Salus. This book
> would be based upon the installments that are currently being published on
> Groklaw. A full table of contents is available here:
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20050518234539953 and there are
> currently 14 chapters/previews available.
>
> 1. Would you be interested in reading something like this.

Yeah.  I like reading computer history.  I have 2 other of his books
(does he have more) and have read his columns in login; in the past.
Always well written and researched.

> 2. If available in a printed form for purchase as well as a free online book
> would you buy this?

I'd probably buy it.

> 3. How much would you pay for the printed information - although it was
> freely available online.

It's worth paying for a paper copy sometimes.  Less so for "books you
study", more for books stuff like this, fiction, etc.  If it's the
type of book I'd search through, the paper copy isn't as important
(The Perl Bookshelf).  If it's something I'm going to sit down to
read, paper is better ("The Unix Philosphy", "A Quarter Century of
Unix" :-)

> If you feel like responding offline - that is absolutely fine.
>
> Any and all responses are absolutely appreciated.
>
> I look forward to hearing from you.
> Thanks in advance...
> Catherine
>

> Catherine B. Nolan
> Acquisitions Editor
> Addison Wesley / Prentice Hall PTR
> Pearson Technology Group
>
> catherine.nolan at pearsoned.com

> please notify the sender and delete all copies.

The people I distrust most are those who want to improve our lives but
have only one course of action.
- Frank Herbert