GNU Mailman "No such file or directory" error

Bruce Dawson jbd at codemeta.com
Tue Jul 26 19:59:01 EDT 2005

David Berube wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I'm getting strange GNU Mailman errors on a Ensim Web Appliance
> machine. /var/logs/maillog has entries like this
>
> Jul 26 18:46:52 ded116-lin-79-116 Mailman mail-wrapper: No such file
> or directory
>
> The message
>
> The original message was received at Tue, 26 Jul 2005 18:38:43 -0400
> from root at localhost
>
>   ----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
> "|/home/mailman/mailman/mail/mailman post mylistname"
>    (reason: 4)
>    (expanded from: <mylistname at myhost.org>)
>
>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
> No such file or directory
> 554 5.3.0 unknown mailer error 4
>
> Note that "No such file or directory" is being outputted by mailman,
> not by sendmail; it does the same if you run it from a shell.
> Checkperms has permissions set ok - I can also view the list via
> listinfo and administrate it via the web interface. It seems to only
> have a problem with mailman/mail/mailman program.
>
> Any ideas? Any more information I can post that might help?

Just the Linux distribution you are using the the version of mailman.

In version 2.1, mail-wrapper is a C program that gets compiled into
mailman (because mailman has to run in a wrapper to
preserve the MTA's security). If you're running version 2.1, then I
would say that the mailman wasn't built for your MTA.
(MTA = Mail Transport Agent - typically sendmail or qmail).

There's also the possibility that /etc/aliases doesn't have the right
incantations for mailman.

--Bruce