Is it okay to plug a power-strip into a UPS?

Tom Buskey tbuskey at gmail.com
Wed Jun 15 19:03:01 EDT 2005

On 6/15/05, Bob Bell <bbell at macroped.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 15, 2005 at 09:13:02AM -0400, Larry Cook wrote:

> >I'd also like to put the router and DSL modem on there.  Any reason I
> >shouldn't use a power-strip to add these two devices to the last remaining
> >outlet?
> Finally, I'm not an electronics expert or anything, but to my knowledge
> most UPSes don't output a perfect sine wave.  Instead, they may output
> a square wave or at best a stepped sine wave.  I've heard that this
> output may not play nicely with a surge protector, and may cause the
> surge protector to trip prematurely.  However, I can't actually back up
> that assertion with any hard evidence, so take it for what it's worth.

Power strip, sure if you don't exceed amperage, etc.

I've heard that the stepped wave can damage the MOVs in a surge
supressor and turn it into a power strip w/ no surge protection.  I've
also heard that there may be no indication that it's ruined.  YMMV.

So use a (less expensive) power strip, not a surge supressor to add
outlets.  The UPS is already a better surge supressor anyways.

--
The people I distrust most are those who want to improve our lives but
have only one course of action.