HD partitions?

Puissante puissante at biz.puissante.com
Thu Jun 16 04:18:01 EDT 2005

As a *beginning* user, I would say creating / as one partition is fine.
Using it for home, you probably don't need the sophisitication that the
others mention.

What you are probably more interested in as a home user is having a
central place for all your home machines to store their files. In my
home there are a mix of  W2K and Linux machines, and many of the W2K
machines are short on drive space, and I have no desire to buy em all
new hard drives, so I want to set up a linux box with Samba to give them
all common storage. Since I have 2 writers in the house that typically
collorabate and are *bad* about keeping their stuff backed up,  I
eventually want to set up an automated CVS system for them.

But that's getting off the subject of partitioning.  As far as the size
of /boot, I'd say 100 Megs is *plenty* unless you are a kernel hound. I
*am* a kernel hound and have yet to run out of space with 100 Megs, but
I do typically go in and delete kernel installs I am no longer needing.
I find it rather silly to see my kernel list on Grub going on for more
than one page.

I would strongly suggest using Grub over Lilo -- mostly for religious
reasons. Actually, I've always used Grub and have never touched Lilo
except maybe once in the past, and I like being able to reconfigure Grub
settings during the boot process. You can change kernel paramenters, for
instance, which sometimes can be a lifesaver. Not sure what Lilo has to
offer in this regard.

Well, welcome to the world of Linux, where you have "infinite"
flexibility which, alas, makes things a bit intimidating to most
beginners. I personally like having that power as opposed to having all
the decisions made for me up front with few options, as is the Micronazi
approach. And don't even get me started with them...

-Fred