Causes of router/switch hangs?

Benjamin Scott dragonhawk at iname.com
Sun Jun 19 13:55:01 EDT 2005

   I'll chime in with others and say that it appears to be common for "SOHO"
network equipment to peridoically go out-to-lunch on its own.

   I had one client who, after a corporate takeover, got sent a LinkSys "VPN"
box that needed to be power-cycled at least daily.  It was on an APC
Smart-UPS, which supposedly provide conditioned, unterruptible power, so I'm
confident power was not the problem.  The only signal connections were to the
main network switch (a 3Com) and the Cisco router from the ISP.  So I'm pretty
sure it wasn't the signal cabling.

   There's also a LinkSys wireless-to-Ethernet bridge that will negtiate a 100
megabit Ethernet link, but will consistently lock up if actually fed data at
100 meg rates.

   I've got nothing against LinkSys.  Indeed, I own several pieces of LinkSys
gear, and am generally quite happy with it.  But I'm one person with rather
small demands.  That's what the stuff is designed for.  It isn't designed for
a busy, multi-user network.

   I will say that you can never go wrong in having the cables tested to meet
all the Category 5 standards, which is what I assume you mean by "scope the
cables".  A marginal cable can give you link lights and even appear to work
sometimes, but still have some kind of flaw (that usually only manifests
itself at 3AM on a Saturday).

--
Ben <dragonhawk at iname.com>