All TV is bad?

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Tue Jun 21 11:09:01 EDT 2005

Jim Kuzdrall wrote:

>    The last time we had a TV set up was 1987.  I gave up on the
>"history channel" type programming just after the news and just before
>WKRP reruns.
>
>    The educational documentaries have two problems: information rate
>and information depth....

Ditto. I get frustrated with most documentaries I've seen lately,
including a recent one at the IMAX about a trip through Africa. Very
dumbed down, very little depth in the material, and highly yawn
inducing. Way too much time was spent on the visuals, not nearly enough
on content. The visual stuff does not impress me. They normally don't
even come close to what my own mind and imagination is capable of.

Information rates always seem at the level of a 300-baud modem in the
age of high-speed Internet. Slooooow.

TV was largely designed for the masses, and the lowest common
denominator at that.

-Fred