Olde cheap(ish) *nix [was Linux vs. BSD?]

John Abreau jabr at blu.org
Sun Jun 26 16:16:00 EDT 2005

On Sun, 2005-06-19 at 08:27 -0400, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> Back in the early '90s I set up a mail server at the Boston Computer
> Society using an IBM PS/2 and SCO Xenix. It crashed so often that we
> switched to a DOS based system. We installed Linux as soon as we had
> some hardware that could run it. While Linux was not very stable at the
> time, it served us well, and we (primarily John Abreau) started a Linux
> SIG which eventually became the BLU.

And before I'd ever heard of Linux, we tried getting 386bsd working,
and we never did. That was after we moved the mail server off the
DOS box running just UUCP, and onto a NeXT cube talking UUCP to the
outside world and TCP/IP to the MacOS machines in the BCS office.

It took a while after that to get TCP/IP working on the Windows 3.1
boxes, and it never worked reliably enough until Windows 95 was
released. I remember when I first got Trumpet Winsock working on
one of the PCs, and one of the Resource Center volunteers tried
it out. I didn't understand at first when he expressed surprise
that the different email and browser applications interoperated
without problems. I hadn't had much exposure to Windows at that
time, and I wasn't aware that users expected things to be broken.

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9