Greylisting

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Thu Jun 30 10:57:01 EDT 2005

Is anybody using Greylisting on their mailservers?  It sounds like a
great idea.

Roughly:

	* incoming mail gets scanned for envelope sender, envelope recipient,
sending IP
	* if it's the first time the tuple is seen it gives an SMTP 'temporary
failure' error.  The sending MTA retrys.
	* if it's been seen before it's accepted

Reportedly, most mass-Spamming tools will just drop the attempt if it's
not immediately successful. People are reporting 95% reductions of
input to SpamAssassin, et. al.  I'm not sure if it makes economic sense
for spammers to deal with temporary errors.  So this countermeasure has
some arms-race problems, but perhaps fewer than most anti-spam
techniques.  Obviously a critical mass will push it over the edge at
some point.

   http://projects.puremagic.com/greylisting/whitepaper.html
   http://isg.ee.ethz.ch/tools/postgrey/

Listed broken MTA's:

     Novell Groupwise 6.0 - Confirmed
     InterMail 4.0 - Reported
     ISMail - Reported

I'm willing to give it a go, just looking for any "don't even think
about it because..." stories.

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Text: bill+text at bfccomputing.com

For fastest support contact, please follow:
http://bfccomputing.com/support_contact.html