Desire for a new kind of list?

Brian lists at karas.net
Tue Mar 1 09:32:00 EST 2005

Many of the people that came to claim the "free crap" from my house over the
last couple of weeks also expressed interest in my Home Automation setup, as
well as various electronics projects, product ideas, distributed
music/video, and other odd bits of tinkering and ideas.  I've heard a couple
of good business plans from folks that are either in active development or
early stages of implementation as well.

I was thinking of setting up a list that would not be just about linux, or
robots, but more of a collective local group that just "builds stuff".  The
meetings (monthly?) would/could take place at my house (amherst, NH) or
anyone else would be welcome to host.  The intent being to show off projects
in the works and/or solicit opinions and ideas for improvements and such.

I offer up my place because it is somewhat spacious *and* I have a fair
amount of electronics tools and components as well as a decent enough
workshop (no metal mills or lathes yet, but I am looking to purchase a
smallish (3HP) vertical mill soon).  The idea being things could go from
brainstorm to proof-of-concept all in one meeting.  This would be a
variation of the usual meetings where it seems that everyone meets, talks,
and then goes off on their own without much tangible evidence ever being
created.  Think of it like "Install fest" meets "Monster Garage".

I think that with the collective knowledge and skills we have in the Nashua
area (that "area" spanning Concord NH to Boston MA and beyond) that we
should be able to get a group of "do-ers" together and maybe actually
produce something cool in the process.

So, any takers?

-- Brian