Feb 2005 Issue of Linux Magazine?

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at crschmidt.net
Mon Mar 7 23:49:00 EST 2005

On Mon, Mar 07, 2005 at 10:45:20PM -0500, Benjamin Scott wrote:
> On Mon, 7 Mar 2005, at 8:11pm, crschmidt at crschmidt.net wrote:
> > http://www.livejournal.com/bots/
>
>   Since we're on the topic of things one shouldn't do... load that page and
> then follow the example hyperlink in the bit about how robots should have a
> URL with info in their User-Agent string.  The operator of <fooland.com> is
> not amused.

I mentioned this to them when they first created this page. (The
creation of the FOAF profiles was what really sparked it off to begin
with.) However, nothing was ever done about it, despite my efforts to
convince developers.

Not only that, but this has bitten LiveJournal specifically in the
past: All of the examples for how to set a background image in your
journal for a long time used some non-example.* URI, and several dozen
people didn't ever change this, which resulted to an email to the
support team to deal with the issue.

>   The canonical domain names for examples are:
>
> 	example.
> 	example.com.
> 	example.net.
> 	example.org.
>
> These are mentioned in an RFC somewhere, and are pretty much guaranteed
> never to be used in the Internet domain name space.  Much better to use then
> picking a random name that someone might be using (or use someday).

>   There is also an example IPv4 network: 192.0.2.0/24 (RFC-3330).  Unlike
> the RFC-1918 networks, that one is reserved for "testing and examples", and
> in theory should not be found in production use.

Learn a new thing every day!

>   This has been a public service message from the Listmaster General.

Thanks!

--
Christopher Schmidt