New meeting time for GNHLUG/MerriLUG/Nashua

Ken D'Ambrosio kend at xan3d.com
Mon Mar 14 12:43:12 EST 2005

Hello!  Below is the e-mail I've been trying to send out for some time;
sadly, I wanted to include a schedule of upcoming meeting
topics/speakers, but -- ah, the naivete -- I now know that such things
require substantial bulldogging to accomplish.  So, below is a TENTATIVE
list of meeting topics, and anyone who's interested in giving chats for
ones not already taken are implored to contact me.  Anyway, back to your
regularly-scheduled e-mail:

Howdy, all.  Just wanted to let you guys know that, after much debate,
consideration, and checking of calendars, it looks like the third
Thursday of each month is the way to fly.  I'm sure that that'll
conflict with someone... so I'm sorry.  BUT, it seems to conflict with
the minimum number of people who responded, and -- unlike the fourth
week of the month -- won't conflict with year-end holidays.
[Thanksgiving's the FOURTH Thursday of November; I checked.]
I've also firmed things up with Martha's, and they're glad to have us back.

Here's the current schedule for upcoming meetings:

March 17 (that's this coming Thursday):
 - General LUGness.  Come as you are, and we'll discuss the why's,
wherefores, and so forth.
   See the end of this e-mail for a (very) rough idea of how the
structure of meetings will go.

April 21: MythTV (an open-source, Linux-based TiVo-like system)
 - I've got some goodies from the EFF for this, and would invite anyone
who's set up a
   system to tell us how it works.  Are enough people familiar with it
that we'd consider
   having some sort of more formal installfest on a weekend?

May 19: Security.
 - I'd like to do something on security, if anyone's willing to give a
discussion
   about it.  Often enough, I see comments to the effect that security
implemented
   without knowing what you're doing isn't really security... but
security, let's
   be honest, isn't trivial to implement with Linux.  If anyone would
care to discuss
   their favorite firewall front-ends, or what-have-you, I'd be very
interested.

June 16: WINE (www.winehq.com -- a WINdows Emulator)
 - Ira Krakow, who helped out at the GNHLUG booth at LinuxWorld, has kindly
   offered chat up WINE.  For those that haven't used it, it does Windows
   emulation... kinda.  It has a long and storied history, and can be
   interesting to get running.  Ira's writing a book aoubt WINE, and I'd
   be very interested to hear what he has to say.  Bring your questions, or
   your successes!

July 21: New user meeting!
 - Meet and greet.  New users are -always- welcome, of course, but one
theme expressed at
   our previous meeting in February was that we should have an
occasional meeting where
   new users, and their concerns -- and perhaps even their systems, if
they're willing
   to lug 'em in -- are the focus.

Aug 18: IP (not the networking kind) issues, both historical and
contemporary.
 - I hope to be able to drag a specific speaker in for this that I met at
   the GNHLUG booth at LinuxWorld, but haven't been able to firm up a date.

Generally speaking, we usually get together at 6:00 p.m. at Martha's for
some chow; this is entirely informal, and everyone is welcome to attend,
or skip, as they see fit.  Around 7:00, we filter up to one of Martha's
function rooms, where a more formal meeting occurs; we'll have a Q&A
time, and usually some topic of discussion for us to expound on.  New
users/list lurkers are invited to make themselves known; I can't speak
for anyone else, but I'm terrible with faces and names, so please feel
free to introduce yourself even if you aren't new -- given the sporadic
attendance, it's likely you'll be new to at least a fair chunk of the folks.

My next notifications of upcoming meetings, I promise, will be with a
bit more advance warning.  Trying to fit everything together for an
initial schedule was a bit on the daunting side.

Thanks!

-Ken