now I did it ..

Mike Medai mikemedai at netscape.net
Wed Mar 16 18:30:01 EST 2005

Okay, now I did it!  Messing around trying to sort out how to convert
.wav files to .mp3 to conserve some drive space.  I looked at Grip
(until it finally dawned on me that it is meant for Gnome .. I'm playing
with KDE <sigh>), Lame, and a couple of other programs.  Grip played the
CD's really well .. and that was it.  Kaudiocreator never even spotted
the CD drive nor did some of the other utilities I messed with also.

And to top it all off now, I can't even access the drive at all either
via with the file browser or through the terminal.  The standard KDE CD
player happily plays the CD, but now I can't pull files down.

My desktop sometimes recognizes that there is a music cd in the drive
(the icon changes to reflect this if I drop one in during a session, but
not when I initially boot the system), but that is all I can
accomplish.  When trying to access the drive with the file browser or
even trying to mount/view it with the terminal I get:

/dev/cdrom: Input/output error
mount: I could not determine the filesystem type, and none was specified

Tracking down the file /etc/fstab shows this:

/dev/cdrecorder      /media/cdrecorder    auto
ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0
/dev/cdrom           /media/cdrom         auto
ro,noauto,user,exec   0 0

Tried mounting the drive using the -t iso9660 option and it balked at
that too.

How do I fix this?

Mike