automount on debian help

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Mar 18 13:05:01 EST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 12:15:24PM -0500, Kenny Donahue wrote:
> Hi all,
> I just switched from RH 7.2 to the latest debian.
> Everything seems to be fine except that I can't seem to
> automount to the Solaris exported directories on our network.

So you're probably using autofs and NIS, right?

> Google searches have been useless. Tons of hits, zero content.  I
> have access to a machine with working automount so if I had a list
> of files that need to be changed, I could figure it out from there.

First, look at /etc/nsswitch.conf and check the entry for automount.
If you're using NIS, you'll probably have to insert nis at the
beginning of the line.  Of course, your system will need to be an NIS
client...

If you're relying on files, you'll need to copy /etc/auto.* from a
working machine.  It's been a long while since I supported autofs and
NIS, but I think that'll do it.

-=-=-=-=-