automount on debian help

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Mar 18 14:11:01 EST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 02:00:37PM -0500, Kenny Donahue wrote:
> I know diddly about network stuff so I'll do my best to answer.
> I'm using NIS, autofs and amd (I think).

That seems really unlikely; autofs (automounter) and amd are two
different methods of accomplishing the same thing...  It would be
strange to be using both at the same time.  autofs is generally
considered to be the better of the two, so chances are that's what
you're using, not amd.

What is the output of the following command on both
boxes?

  ls /etc/rc.d/rc3.d |egrep "autofs|amd"

I don't have a debian box handy to check, but the path might be
/etc/rc3.d on Debian...  If the above gave you an error, try that
instead.

> automounting is configured to use files.

How was it configured on your old box?  Can you look in
/etc/nsswitch.conf on the old machine?

-=-=-=-=-