automount on debian help

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Fri Mar 18 15:20:01 EST 2005

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 02:50:08PM -0500, Kenny Donahue wrote:
> >Ok, let's backtrack a couple of steps...
> >
> >Can you mount the exported filesystems manually?

You didn't answer this question...  It's important.  If you can't
mount the filesystem manually, you're never going to get autofs to do
it for you...

If you're not sure how to mount the files manually, the format is like
this:

  # mount servername:/path/to/fs /path/to/local/mountpoint

You need to know the path of the filesystem on the server, and you
need a directory on which to mount the filesystem.

Which raises another point: do your mount points exist on your new
machine?  Autofs normally creates the last part of the path for you...
So if you have an automounted filesystem in /nfs/auto/blah, then on
your local system, /nfs/auto better exist.  If it doesn't, you're not
going to get your files.

> >What is the output of this command:
> >
> > ps aux |grep '[a]utomounter'
> >

> Nothing

So the automount processes either aren't starting, or they're exiting
due to errors.  Another place to look is in your system's syslog to
see if there's anything in there about automount errors.

> >What is the output of this command:
> >
> >ypwhich
> >

> hades

Your system is definitely an NIS client -- that's good.  It rules out
one potential problem...

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 02:58:58PM -0500, Kenny Donahue wrote:
> Michael ODonnell wrote:
>
> >Try saying "ypcat auto.master"
>
> auto_usr   -bg
> -host    -bg
> auto_home   -bg
> auto_os   -bg
> auto_web -bg

Your maps are being provided via NIS.  This may or may not mean you
shouldn't be using files, but instead you should be using NIS.  I'd
like to suggest that you edit /etc/nsswitch.conf and remove files and
nisplus from your automount line.  Then restart automounter.

Let us know if any of that helped.

-=-=-=-=-