Hosstraders, April 30th and May 1st, Hopkinton State Fair Grounds

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Sat Mar 19 16:29:00 EST 2005

On Saturday 19 March 2005 09:32 am, Ted Roche wrote:
> Looks like Hosstraders is coming up in about six weeks. I understand
> there's usually a Linux contingent there.  What goes on there ("what
> happens at Hosstraders stays at Hosstraders?"), what the attraction
> is for non-hams. From the links below, it looks like there are some
> computer parts vendors there.

    I went last year (first time) and came home with about $600 from
sales of electronics and computer parts at give-away prices ( 5 and 10
cents on the dollar).  Made a lot of people happy.

    On sale there were computers, mother boards, disk drives, memory
chips, power supplies, fans, PSI/ISA boards, and other component-level
parts.  I almost bought one of the HP SCSI DDS-2 tape drives, but
talked myself out of it.  It takes a lot of discipline to get away with
some cash left.

    The hardware techies who frequent such swaps often get their hands
on boxes and barrels of unsorted components from a company that is
going under or moving.  For example, last spring a large international
company moved from Lexington to Chelmsford.  It didn't pay to take
anything old or used and valued less than $2000.  The rest headed for
the dumpster or the basement of anyone who wanted it.

> I'm not far from the fairgrounds, and would be willing to help with
> staging of materials, offering a parking space or two, or
> jury-rigging a lightening-rod/WiFi antenna on the roof if needed.
> Anything I can do to help?

    My wife and I went Friday last year.  The weather was beautiful.  We
staked out a nice place among the pine trees.  Had interesting
neighbors to talk to.  Took turns seeing the vendors.  Sampled the
snacks.

    Just checked.  Yes we are going this year.  Anyone who wants to join
us is welcome.  Schedule is flexible, but Friday has advantages.

Jim Kuzdrall