now I did it ..

Jim Kuzdrall gnhlug at intrel.com
Sat Mar 19 22:20:38 EST 2005

On Saturday 19 March 2005 07:22 pm, Mike Medai wrote:

> Sadly, this was not the case.  I've tried various different settings
> for this using all the possibilities for /dev/xxxx and even toggling
> the AutoDetect option after each one to see if that might kick-start
> it.
>
> When I botch something up I do a really good job!  And sometimes I
> even can fix it too .. but not yet with this one.
>
> Mike

    I have a similar system.  Maybe this information will give a clue.
Sometimes KDE apps are slow to let go of a drive.  My system does not
list the cdrom as mounted even when konqueror has it open!  You might
run mount to see if it is in the list.  If so, try umount
-l /dev/cdrom.

    This feature is all new to me, by the way.  I didn't know konqueror
would do these things.

    I have SuSE 8.2, KDE 3.1.1 with kernel 2.4.20-64GB-SMP.  I tried to
mount the audio CD via right click and it said "...busy...".  In user
konqueror, I put in audiocd:/dev/ and all the tracks showed up as
files.  They copied just fine, but as .cda files.   I didn't get wav.
My ls /dev/cdrom gives:

lrwxrwxrwx 1 root root 3 2003-09-23 23:22 /dev/cdrom -> sr0

    (It is a SCSI cdrom player.)

    However, when I look at /dev/cdrom in the konqueror file browser
window, I get:

cdrom 0B Block Device 14-Mar-03 08:07 rw- --- --- jak cdrecording -> sro

    Strange that they would simultaneously show different information
about the link.  Maybe Konqueror shows info for the link and ls shows
info for what it points to.

Jim Kuzdrall