Primary Education & linux (advocacy)

elawson elawson at grizzy.com
Sun Mar 20 14:37:00 EST 2005

> From: Jeff Smith <jsmith at alum.mit.edu>
> Subject: Primary Education & linux (advocacy)
> To: GNHLUG <gnhlug-discuss at mail.gnhlug.org>
>
> I need some help!  I have a debate going on about moving
> Brookline Schools (primary education) from Windows to
> Linux.  Anyone have pointers/experience with primary
> education software for Linux

There are quite a few schools in NH using OSS and Linux to various
degrees.  The Exeter SD has opened a charter school which is using OSS
and Linux exclusively..or that was the plan.  Many are exploring K12LTSP
which is a very impressive tool for extending the life of older
computers.  Others are using Linux for infrastructure or at least
thinking about it.

Trying to get schools to change to Linux on most desktops is not
particularly rational given the mix of applications they need/use and
the inherent problems of introducing new software/OS.

Better to focus first on OSS that runs on Windows and infrastructure
tools.  Things like OO, Thunder bird, Firefox, Abiword, Gimp for the
desktop and SAMBA, LAMP for back room stuff.

Keep in mind the admins and teachers tend to have rather narrow visions
of what options are available and the IT staff tends to be so overworked
they can do little but put out fires. so you need to be cooperative and
point out options that make life easier.

Currently, I am working on creating a LAMP based portfolio project for
K12 and am in the process of demoing some apps to schools...in
particular Site at School, ATutor and Moodle. These and K12LTSP really open
eyes on what can be done.

If you want names, etc. of people who are working in this area in NH
write me off list.

I find many are very interested in exploring OSS nd Linux.  Now the
issue is not so much awareness as it is helping them do it.  The local
IT person really wanted to see how various LAMP education apps worked,
but had no time to install and work on them.  I offered to set them up
and demo them and they took that up immediately and gave me a machine to
use.  IMHO, that is a good way to start the process of getting schools
to think the possibilities.

Ed Lawson