Question about wireless support

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Sat Mar 26 16:54:00 EST 2005

On Sat, 2005-03-26 at 12:29 -0500, Numberwhun wrote:
> Hello!  I am just curious if anyone here has had any experience with
> using wireless cards with Linux?  I have one of the Linksys pci cards
> that holds one of the pcmcia wireless (802.11b) cards and was wanting to
> use it with Fedora Core 3.

I use a Belkin PCMCIA card with Linux. This may or may not help you with
your Linksys PCI, but I had to:

1) Reconfigure the kernel to support Wireless.
2) Compile and install the driver for the card.
3) Set up the various configuration files in the /etc/sysconfig, etc.

The details are likely to be different for your card, but you'll
probably have to go through the above steps, unless support for the card
is native to your distro.

Hopefully there is someone else here who has experience with your
specific card.

A real sensitive issue is the driver/kernel mix. Drivers are not always
kept up to date with the latest kernel releases, so if you are like me
who has to have the latest and greatest of everything, you are likely to
be disappointed.

In short, getting wireless cards to work can be highly nontrivial,
depending on the card. Googling will be your close friend under these
circumstances.

-Fred