(ext3 + (2.4.18 -> 2.6.11)) = WTF?

Derek Martin invalid at pizzashack.org
Thu May 5 11:21:01 EDT 2005

On Thu, May 05, 2005 at 08:36:04AM -0400, Michael ODonnell wrote:
> OK - this is now officially upgraded to a double-WTF.

Only tangentially related, I can't seem to UNmount a particular vfat
filesystem on my laptop running Fedora's 2.6.9 kernel...  fuser -m
reports no processes are using the fs, and even after shutdown runs
killall, the filesystem won't unmount!  My personal opinion is that
2.6 is not ready for prime time.

I did run fuser -v -m, which IIRC told me something like this:

		USER		PID	ACCESS COMMAND
/storage	root		kernel	????   mount

The ???? isn't what was printed...  I just don't remember what was
there.  Needless to say, there weren't any mount processes running
(which is irrelevant, since the PID is listed as "kernel")...
Strangeness.

-=-=-=-=-