Rookit infections: AARRGH!

Neil Joseph Schelly neil at jenandneil.com
Mon May 9 09:17:01 EDT 2005

I think you may be disappointed with some of my answer and that is that you'll
never know for sure how someone gets in.  My experiences with this have been
that reinstalling is almost always the best fix in cases like this though,
and obviously, it takes away the opportunity for a deep investigation when
you require that server to be online again fast.

As for SSH being the point of entry, I doubt that.  I get those same entries
for failed logins from my own boxes, but I get the impression that they are
actually trying out buffer overflow attacks on OpenSSL.  I can't imagine a
worm that is trying 2 or 3 passwords each on non-privileged accounts that
usually don't even have passwords (or have a need for a password) is going to
spread much - that's a worm that is really intended to die off quickly.  More
likely, it is trying to exploit one of the insecurities found in OpenSSL over
the last few years, looking for an unpatched box.

That said, I'm assuming FC3 is up to date on those sorts of things, or at
least that you're keeping up to date on them.  The best way to find out what
the method of entry then is to try breaking in yourself.  Run all the
SATAN/SAINT/Nessus/etc types of tools you can get your hands on and see if
any of the exploits really work.  Even if the exploit only gets access to an
unprivileged account, local access with one of those may lead to a local
exploit that hasn't gotten as much attention as a remote exploit.  If that
doesn't lead anywhere, start visiting IRC channels, newsgroups, etc where
discussion about hacking/cracking is happening.  Try to find out the new
tricks and exploits in the wild or that people are working on or anything
helpful.

Again, you probably won't find it, especially not to be sure. While the
evidence of a rootkit is easy to identify, the evidence of a breakin is
usually non-existant.

HTH
-N