Weird tcsh question

Jerry Feldman gaf at blu.org
Mon May 9 15:01:02 EDT 2005

On Monday 09 May 2005 2:35 pm, Kenny Donahue wrote:
> Hi all,
> I have a weird tcsh question ask.
> in both Linux and Solaris if try and execute . I get either /usr/sbin/.
>
> : permision deinied
>
> or in Lunux /bin/. :Permission denied. What is happening?
> Example:
>
> Kenny on somemachine% .
> /bin/.: Permission denied.
>
> No big deal but it got me wondering.
What exactly are you trying to do?
/usr/sbin is a directory of system programs, many of which require you to be
root to execute.
Also, when you are running tcsh, run 'ls -al /usr/sbin' on both Linux and
Solaris.
/usr/sbin should have permissions rwxr-xr-x.
On both Solaris and Linux.
I used tcsh o both and ls -al /usr/sbin give me a notmal listing and show
the appropriate permissions and ownerships.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix user group