Environmental Monitoring

Brian gnhlug at karas.net
Tue May 10 11:30:01 EDT 2005

 I have.  I rolled my own.

http://www.karas.net/homeautomation/temp_mon_front.jpg
http://www.karas.net/homeautomation/temp_mon_pcb.jpg

Basic Stamp, SitePlayer, Dallas 1-wire sensors, some bits of code and you
have a monitor that can keep track of a couple of dozen temps that has a
serial port and a webserver.

You could go on the cheap with just a Basic Stamp 2, no site player, no LCD,
and LM34's instead of the 1-wire sensors and build something for probably
far less than $100 overall that is monitored via serial port.

Humidity sensors are a little more costly and difficult to find, but
Parallax has some on their site with code samples.