Environmental Monitoring

Bill McGonigle bill at bfccomputing.com
Tue May 10 11:47:01 EDT 2005

On May 10, 2005, at 11:03, mike ledoux wrote:

> Have any of you done anything like this?  Any recommendations?  My
> quick google searches have only found solutions in the multiple
> thousand range, but which do much more than I need.

I've been looking at this recently for a NEMA box I have in a swamp for
my neighborhood network's ISP connection.  I'd like to make sure the
heater and fans are working as expected (and page me if the network
gear is about to melt).

My current plan is to solder a serial port into a WRT54G and hook up a
COTS serial environment sensor which are cheap. Sveasoft Alchemy has
SNMP which I'd like to hook into.  ~$100 if your time is free.  There
are ~$250 units in Processor.com if you want to buy.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=U&start=1&q=http://www.rwhitby.net/
wrt54gs/serial.html&e=10053

I've been 'meaning to do it' for a couple months but my soldering
skills top out with slightly larger components (probably I don't know
what kind of tools to use to do it this precisely).

-Bill
-----
bill at bfccomputing.com           Mobile: 603.252.2606
http://www.bfccomputing.com/    Pager: 603.442.1833
AIM: wpmcgonigle                Skype: bill_mcgonigle

For fastest support contact, please follow:
http://bfccomputing.com/support_contact.html