Fwd: Environmental Monitoring

Bill Freeman f at ke1g.mv.com
Wed May 11 11:04:01 EDT 2005

	I believe (as I had responded privately to the original
questioner) that the System Management Bus found in some modern PCs is
I2C or close enough to work with things like the LM34 and TCN75A (I
like MicroChip) and other I2C temperature sensors.  They tend to be
SMT, but you can get things like the "Surfboard" series of SMT
adapters to use as a pre-made circuit board.  That totals less than
$10 for a sensor, plus the effort of figuring out how to attach to the
SMB and program the SMB, and, to use someone else's phrase, if your
time is billed at $0.  If the SMB won't fly, you can always do I2C
single master with the parallel port and a FET.  And I wouldn't be
surprised if there were a USB based I2C interface out there, but now
its starting to approach the prices that some others have been
mentioning.

							Bill