IP addresses and FC3

Fred puissante at biz.puissante.com
Thu May 12 18:03:01 EDT 2005

Kevin D. Clark wrote:

>Fred writes:
>

>>The problem I am seeing is that the IPs appear to work for a little
>>while, then they are all dropped save for the first one in each class.
>>

>Can you show us your /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0 and
>/etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:1 files?

Ok, here we are. The filename of the config files proceed the settings
within:

ifcfg-eth0
GATEWAY=69.28.69.9
BOOTPROTO=none
DEVICE=eth0
MTU=""
NETMASK=255.255.255.248
BROADCAST=69.28.69.15
IPADDR=69.28.69.10
NETWORK=69.28.69.8
ONBOOT=yes

ifcfg-eth0:5
BOOTPROTO=none
DEVICE=eth0:5
NETMASK=255.255.255.248
MTU=1500
BROADCAST=69.28.69.8
ONPARENT=yes
IPADDR=69.28.69.9
NETWORK=69.28.69.8
ONBOOT=yes

ifcfg-eth0-range69
IPADDR_END=69.28.69.14
CLONENUM_START=1
IPADDR_START=69.28.69.11

ifcfg-eth0-range70
IPADDR_END=69.28.70.14
CLONENUM_START=11
IPADDR_START=69.28.70.9

ifcfg-eth0-range71
IPADDR_END=69.28.71.14
CLONENUM_START=21
IPADDR_START=69.28.71.9

I might add that I've even tried using ifconfig to assign the IPs and
the netmasks and broadcast addresses to the individual virtual devices
eth0:nn, but that has only had mixed results.

>Are you running anything on the box that would be bringing a real
>interface like eth0 up and down?  Would Webmin do that?  Are you
>running a routing daemon on the box?

No to (nearly) all of the above. Webmin will only change the interfaces
on command, as far as I know.

>Before recompiling your kernel, as a gross/funny hack it might be
>fruitful to replace /sbin/ifconfig with a shell script that logs every
>invocation of this command -- maybe you can catch something
>unexpectedly bringing your interface up or down?
>
>Alternatively, it might be useful to add extra logging in the kernel
>where SIOCGIFFLAGS is handled.  All you'd have to do is dump out what
>process is mucking with things like IFF_UP and IFF_DOWN...
>--kevin

Thanks for the tips.

-Fred