AOL access from Linux

Tom Buskey tbuskey at gmail.com
Fri May 13 14:58:01 EDT 2005

On 5/13/05, Michael ODonnell <michael.odonnell at comcast.net> wrote:

> > Does your mother use AOL purely for IP dialtone or does she use
> > AOL's features?
>
> She uses it mostly for email and WWW browsing they supply,
> and occasionally their IM service.
>
> Please don't suggest that she use some other ISP because, as I
> said, even though her current arrangment sucks she's terrified of
> change.  It's gonna be like pulling teeth to even get her to boot

My mom is like that too.  Once, in the past, I tried to get her to use
Yahoo for email so whe could switch ISPs more easily.  And maybe use
NetZero to save some $$$.  She also lives up near Dartmouth in WRJ and
could switch to valley.net like her sisters.  *sigh*

> I'm assuming that once we get her an IP connection and a
> browser running she'll be able to access her AOL email via
> their WWW interface.

Should be possible.  IM can be done quite nicely with GAIM from linux
or windows.  No AOL account needed.  If you can get her on high speed
(which is another ISP), AOL is available in web only form.